Troupe America, Inc. was founded in 1987 by Producer/Director Curt Wollan.
Since Troupe America’s inception, It has grown from a small theatrical production company operating a theatre in Minneapolis to a nationally recognized production company producing on the national touring circuit, and providing a convention and industrial services division providing talent and equipment for major corporate events.
In the Twin Cities area, Troupe America operates the Plymouth Playhouse.
Plymouth Playhouse, now in its 41st year of operation, has been the home of the popular off-Broadway musicals:
- THE TAFFETAS
- OIL CITY SYMPHONY
- A CLOSER WALK WITH PATSY CLINE
- PUMP BOYS AND DINETTES
- I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE
- Mr. Wollan and the Plymouth Playhouse have produced popular, home grown musicals:
- A five year run of an original musical HOW TO TALK MINNESOTAN, THE MUSICAL
- The premiere run of THE LOVELY LIEBOWITZ SISTERS, a production that has since had long runs across the country in such cities as Des Moines, St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, Columbus, Eau Claire and Atlantic City
- And the return of the original musical, CHURCH BASEMENT LADIES with 4 different sequels.
Troupe America, Inc.
came on the national touring circuit in 1987 with a “bus and truck” production of the musical THE 1940’s RADIO HOUR and a new holiday production of MR. PICKWICK’S CHRISTMAS. Since then, there have been tours of A CHILD’S CHRISTMAS IN WALES, THE GIFTS OF THE MAGI – co-produced with the Lamb’s Theatre of New York – FORBIDDEN BROADWAY, DRIVING MISS DAISY and STEEL MAGNOLIAS – co-produced with Big League Theatricals, and Troupe America’s own national tours of ON GOLDEN POND, BABES IN TOYLAND, PUMP BOYS AND DINETTES, AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’, RING OF FIRE, THE ODD COUPLE (starring William Christopher and Jamie Farr), HANK WILLIAMS: LOST HIGHWAY (starring Jason Petty), MOON OVER BUFFALO (starring Gavin MacLeod), THE SUNSHINE BOYS (starring Dick Van Patten and Frank Gorshin) and SAME TIME NEXT YEAR (starring MacKenzie Phillips and Adrian Zmed). Troupe America is also proud of its world premier tours of Stephen King’s’ GHOST STORIES and Buffy Sedlachek’s A CHRISTMAS CAROL. THE CHURCH BASEMENT LADIES and it’s 4 sequels have all recently been toured by Troupe America. LOVE, LOSS AND WHAT I WORE was produced in 2015 for a national tour.